Intro - What is BHCC?
Our website intends to inform all interested in BHCC, local and abroad - so why we have a mixed bilingual concept. Certainly not all our contents are in english, but we try to recognize and offer what may be of value for the international readers. Here the general statement behind the group:
BHCC is an interest group that brings together radio amateurs and contesters of Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as the radio contesting enthusiasts of other countries. Groups interest focuses on the acquisition and development of contest-specific knowledge and operator skills, improvement of techniques as the enforceability of any organized activity having as target a successful individual and/or team participation in an international radiosport event - contest.
Contest scores of BHCC members (team and individual ones) are regularly declared to the contest sponsors to favor of the BHCC. That classifies the BHCC to compete in the special category of Contest Clubs. Submitting their contest score to favor of BHCC, a member declares to accept and support the general objectives of the club - i.e. the work on strengthening and improvement in quality of contest activities from Bosnia-Herzegovina and the region.
Cooperation between members is based on mutual respect, friendship and support through jointly organized activities (expeditions, Internet based and personal meetings, building of E7HQ team and similar). The members make presentations and analyses of contest results as any other contest related issues, exchange information about newest achievements of the technology, conduct joint technical experiments, conduct discussions and exhange their experiences and knowledge in various amateur radio domains.
Contesting is a radiosport discipline and a very demanding segment of practicing a technically strong to experiments oriented amateur radio hobby. The requirements set on a contester are therefor very high. Near the sportmenship and capability for teamwork, a successful contester needs to obtain high HAM-operator skills and knowledge. For this reason BHCC is used as a forum for treating some very specific topics, such as:
- Evaluation and use of scientific databases about sun activities relevant for the ionosphere, as well as observation of the state of the Earth's magnetosphere and tropospheric events that together with the first mentioned affect the propagation of radio signals. That in order to understand the natural phenomenas and to take advantage of this acknowledgments.
- Antenna construction and continous improvement of their efficiency. Implementation of to the particular location optimized antenna systems
- Selfmaking, development and/or implementation of commercial made transceivers and amplifiers, High-Tec items and complex station switching systems as well as various other sophisticated peripheral equipment.
- Implementation of special ( contest supporting ) software, networking systems of radios and PCs, broadband CW decoders ( Skimmer Technology ) and SDR ( Software Defined Radio ) as well as implementation of other recent achievements of the radio telecommunication technology.
- Improvement of sportmenslike consciousness, operating skills, foreign languages, CW, digital and general techniques and the culture of radiosport. All of that serving the quick and reliable information exchange via radio waves.
- Awakening awareness that skills, knowledge, experience and technical apparatus and antennas kept by a contester have its importance for the entire community too - in case of a public need to apply the alternative telecommunications in situations of natural disasters and/or any of human made disasters.
History of International Contesting from Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnia and Herzegovina enters the international contest scene in the late 1970s and the early 1980s. The collecitve activities were mostly organized trough the local clubs. Academic Radio Club Banja Luka (aka YU4EBL E74EBL), Radio Club Ilidza (aka YU4FRS E74FRS) and the Student Radio Club Steleks/ETF, Sarajevo (YU4EXA, YU4ETF) showed up with serious efforts in international HF contests first. Radio Club Zenica (aka YU4EZC E71EZC) among the first in the wider regional environment established a modern multifunctional amateur-radio house at the mountaintop of Smetovi. Radio Club Konjuh (aka YU4GJK E74GJK) from Banovici is since that time the synonymous of VHF contesting from Bosnia and Herzegovina. Of course, a large number of other cities based radio clubs organized certain activities that have strengthened the foundations of "Contesting" on the territory of B&H. Actors from these local clubs of the time are nowadays making the most of the BHCC member-structure.
For achieving the top results in Contesting, a maximum of both, station technic and operators skills are required. Local based clubs showed sometimes insufficiency, so the pooling of material and human resources were necessary. It started to be more and more used praxis by multi operator appearances in major international contests. The students-HAMoperators were fluctuating to the university centers, gathering in bigger cities. Contesters were coming in an over-regional manner together strengthening their friendship and starting to build up a new spirit, the spirit of BHCC.
The outlines of today's BHCC organization can be be found in SCG - Sarajevo Contest Group, established in 1994. The name BHCC at the other hand starts to live since 2004. The first official meeting of Bosnia and Herzegovina Contest Club was held in January 2008 in Banja Luka, where the members declared the identity and general lines of BHCC. Since then, a more frequent and deeper cooperation of widely spread BiH contesters in an organized manner succeded. BHCC counts members living in S5, I, J2, W, F, YU, SM, DL, 9A, OE, but socializing their contest related activities to Bosnia and Herzegovina too.
Nowadays BHCC gives forces to be recognized as a kind of avantgarde in amateur radio movement of Bosnia and Herzegovina, bringing together activists having widest knowledge and being rich with experiences in various radio-technical and operators disciplines. BHCC members are building and using the recent complex technologies and improving permanently effectiveness of their radio stations.
The respectable individual and team achievements of its members in the international arena, the general reputation, particular significant investments made for contesting, the successful organization of HQ-team of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the IARU HF Championship, the successful realization of various minor and major expeditions (onto the top of mountains, to exotic countries, onto the islands) as well as the presence of BHCClubber on amateur frequencies with distinctive quality and strong signals in exemplary corresponding operational art - all of that may be speaking for the avantgardal character of the group.
BHCC supports further more all serious forms of organized amateur radio activities and constructively contributes to the development of any structure within and outside the country ( local associations / organizations, IARU ) which have the task of representing general interests of amateur radio sport to the entire community.
The power and the wealth of BHCC are its members!
BHCC - Bosnia and Herzegovina Contest Club
The Way to Go